Monday 19 January 2015

Singer 221 Featherweight Free Motion Quilting/Embroidery Foot Simanco 121094

Hello

Been on a bit of a spending spree to cheer myself up.  This icy weather is making me anxious despite having grips on my boots when dog walking.  Roll on Spring.

I have always admired anyone that could do free motion embroidery on a sewing machine.  Did have a go once on my "modern" (1980's Toyota machine) which can drop the feed dogs.  It was disaster, despite having the correct foot, I just couldn't control the stitching, was totally defeated so gave up never to try again until now.

When browsing Ebay for Singer attachments, found this reproduction feed dog cover for my Featherweight at a price of £23 which seems a lot for such a tiny thing until you see the cost of an original Singer part, the last one I saw on internet was £90, eye watering!  Only ever seen the odd one for sale so very rare.



All I needed to go with it was an Embroidery foot, Singer made a special "hopping" for the Featherweight 221 (Simanco 121094).  Again, a fairly rare item but they do come up now and again.  Missed one on Ebay for £14.99 got sidetracked and forgot about the listing (doh).  Did find one but ended up paying twice the price, hey ho.  It arrived in the post, again such a dinky little thing.




Put them on the machine, set the stitch length at zero.  Made a little quilt sandwich and jumped in with both feet and wrote my name!  Wow, so easy to control, the featherweight sews steady away, no zooming out of control.  A joy to use.




Here is the first ever attempt which I don't think it too bad for a total beginner, can read the words (well almost all of them).



Will have to look at UTube for the quilting techniques and patterns but awesome, so chuffed.

I had borrowed this plastic Singer foot off my stitchery friend Sarah, again another embroidery foot but much later date, its huge compared with the the other foot but seeing its a low shank foot, tried it on my machine, it worked fine so this is a suitable alternative which would be cheaper to buy.





Off to practice

A WORD OF CAUTION - IF USING A FEATHERWEIGHT FOR FREE MOTION QUILTING/EMBROIDERY - YOU MUST LET THE MOTOR COOL DOWN REGULARLY - DON'T QUILT FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME YOU WILL DAMAGE IT

Cheers
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Really love receiving your comments, thank you for your visit to the Button Box