Wednesday 27 December 2017

Thread Stand for Singer Sewing Machine 221/222

Hello

Hope that you all had a lovely Christmas, it was very quiet here in the Button Box house, our local pub changed owners on 18th and was immediately shut until the end of January.  Apparently it is going to be refurbished and made into a Restaurant/pub.  We normally call in for a drink on Xmas day along with half the village, it is always nice to wish everyone the best, we really missed the occasion especially Buzz as he loves going to the pub with us although he is totally tea total.

Anyway, Sandi Claus was very good to me.  Look what he brought.  A thread stand for the Featherweights.  Yeah


Actually it was a gift from my super sister Sandi.

Its has been designed and manufactured by singer-featherweight.com  It has was made so that you can use modern cross threaded bobbins on these machines.  The 221/222 were designed for vintage bobbins which pulled thread off from the side but bobbins on modern day machines the bobbins are laid on their side which pulls the thread from the end of the spool.  

I normally use, small vintage bobbins on my vintage machines with a spool spring and felt on the pin so the thread is pulled fairly smoothly.


But today am using a large vintage Sylko bobbin, which due to its size does pull off with a bit of jerk which effects the tension on the stitch.  



The thread stands works brilliantly with this large bobbin, no sign of any jerk so the stitches are loads better.  I have struggled a bit with this machine to get a good stitch, it's more powerful than the 221 so sets off with a bit of spurt which was jerking the thread.

So have spent the afternoon playing with my new gadget.

The lovely Anita (who gave me all the quilting equipment and fabric) found another of her work in progress quilt and asked me if I could finish it off for her by machine quilting it.  Great, an ideal opportunity to use the large bobbins on the machine along with the thread stand.  



These are my extra grippy Showa gardening gloves which I had originally bought to garden in but they are brilliant for doing machine quilting.  It feels weird wearing gloves in the house but oh my, so good for moving the quilt about on my small machine.  This quilt has lots of changes of direction.



My partner bought me a large charm pack by Moda which I will use to fix the Civil War quilt.  I keep having a peek and stroke of the fabric, its soo lovely.


Wishing you all a lovely stitchy New Year.

Cheers
Sharon




No comments:

Post a Comment

Really love receiving your comments, thank you for your visit to the Button Box