Saturday 17 February 2018

Laura Ashley/Liberty Print Quilt

Hello

Quite a while ago I bought 2 packs of Laura Ashley fat quarters in one of their sales.  As usual it hung around my fabric cupboard until I decided what to do with it.

Unfortunately, it wasn't quilting weight fabric, more like curtain fabric but I was determined to make a pretty quilt out of it.  Seeing that I  have not made many quilts with half square triangles, made a load up and had a play laying them out into patterns.  I eventually came up with this design.  Planning ahead is not my forte!



The heavier fabric was a bit of a pain, all the seams were pressed open to cut down on the bulk.

I used some Liberty Lawn fabric for the back which is the complete opposite to the heavy weight L Ashley fabric, its really fine.  This is the second quilt that I have backed with the Liberty, it feels so soft and silky so makes the quilt feel really cozy.  It's a bit tricky to get smooth when making up the quilt but using a good quality cotton wadding makes the Lawn sort of cling to it.  After laying the wadding on the fabric I flipped the layers over and smoothed out the Lawn then carefully turned it over, added the pieced top out, carefully smoothing it out, then tacked all the layers together.



I did quilt it on the Singer 222K, this was the tricky part not because the machine wasn't powerful enough to get through the layers, I was using the walking foot which sometimes got grounded where the thick seams joined together pushing the foot slightly off the straight line. It was finished with a narrow binding which picked out the green colour from the print fabric.

This quilt will not win any prices for accurate top quilting but its pretty.


Another unfinished project completed, that's nearly all of them.  Well perhaps, I might have a couple of more halfway done and what seems like a zillion planned in my head!

Cheers
Sharon


2 comments:

  1. What a lovely quilt, the fabric is beautiful; I'm a great believer in using what you like to make quilts not what the quilt police tell you is right i.e 100%cotton, that's not how quilts were originally made. Enjoy yours it's a gem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvie for your kind comments, the fabric is 100% cotton, its what you would make bedroom curtains out of. Its probably got all sorts of finishes on which make it a bit stiffer, I probably should of washed it before making up the quilt to soften. I agree, you should make quilts of whatever you have, I once made a quilt out of a sample book for upholstery fabric. Now that was heavy weight, but it worked fine, used the 201k for that though.

      Delete

Really love receiving your comments, thank you for your visit to the Button Box